Beef Stew With Wine And Herbs
- 2 lb Beef, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 c. Red wine
- 1 lrg Bay leaf
- 1 x Clove garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 1 1/2 c. Beef stock
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 x Onion, sliced Few sprigs parsley
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 8 whl cloves
- 1 x Inch ginger root Cornstarch
- 1. Place the meat in large bowl. Add in wine, bay leaf, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Marinate in the fridge several hrs, turning frequently.
- 2. Remove the meat & dry thoroughly. SAVE THE MARINADE. In a heavy pot heat the oil & brown the meat.
- 3. Simmer together: the meat, marinade, stock. In a piece of cheesecloth tie up the celery, onions, herbs & spices and add in to pot.
- 4. Cover & simmer 2 1/2 hrs. Add in water if necessary. If you like, when meat is tender, vegetables may be added.
- 5. Throw away herb bag and transfer meat to a warm platter.
- 6. Thicken gravy with cornstarch mixed with a little cool water (1/2 tbs. cornstarch for each c. of broth). Boil, sirring, two mintes. Serve the gravy over the meat with vegetables.
Leave a review or comment