Beef Stew With Sauerkraut And Bread Dumpling
- 2 lb Beef or possibly Turky (the red meat) or possibly half of each, cut into medium pcs.
- 3 x Tabls Oil, (up to 4)
- 1 lrg Onions, cut in slices (up to 2)
- 3 x Garlic cloves, cut in slices (up to 4)
- 3 x Tomatoes, Peeled and cut to pcs, or possibly from can of tomatoes
- 2 x Tabls Tomatoes paste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 can Sauerkraut , Washed and drain, (560 gm) Salt and Freshly grnd Pepper
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 1 c. Boiling water, (up to 1-1/2)
- Goes by this recipe taste better.
- In a heavy saucepan heat oil, Add in meat stir and fry until light brown. Push the meat aside of pan and add in the onions. Put the meat on top of onions, Don't yet mix together, but let the onions fry for couple of min.
- Mix meat and onions, Stir on medium heat. Add in Sauerkraut, Stir, Add in all remaining ingredients BUT the water, stir ,
- Add in only 1/2 c. of boiling water. Mix well.Add in some more water only if stew is too dry. Cover, and simmer on low fire for an hour.From time to time stir and Add in water only if needed.
- Note: The meat shouldn't swim in the water, It should be thick sauce, Taste and add in some salt if needed or possibly even Sugar.
- At this stage you can stop cooking and keep in the refrigerator couple of days, or possibly freeze, to serve , Bring to boil cover and continue in pre heated 375F warm oven for another 30 - 45 min.
- Serve with Bread Dumpling (Semmelknodel).
Leave a review or comment