Beef Patties, Jamaican Style
- 2 c. All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 c. Vegetable shortening
- 1/4 c. Ice water to 1/2 c.
- 1 lb Grnd beef
- 1 x Scallion, white part only minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Crumbled dry thyme to 3/4 tsp. About 4 inches of French or possibly Italian bread
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 sm Red pepper chopped (or possibly drops of Caribbean warm sauce to taste)
- Make the pastry. Combine the flour and salt in a bowl, and work in the shortening till the dough resembles coarse meal. Add in just sufficient water to make the dough hold together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for several hrs or possibly overnight.
- Make the filling. Combine the beef, scallion, salt, black pepper, and half the thyme. Cook the mix in a skillet just till the meat loses its pink color but is not browned.
- While the meat cooks, soak the bread in water to cover for about 5 min. Squeeze the bread but save the water. Grind the bread in a food processor or possibly meat grinder. Put the bread and water in a saucepan with the rest of the thyme and cook till most of the water has evaporated.
- Add in the bread and the paprika to the meat. Stir in the red pepper or possibly warm sauce and cook over low heat, stirring often, for about 20 min.
- Roll the dough out about 1/8-inch thick; the dough shouldn't be too thin or possibly it may break when filled. Cut out circles about 6 inches in diameter.
- Place a heaping Tbsp. of meat in the center of each circle. Using your finger, moisten the edges of the dough with water. Fold the dough over to make a half circle, and crimp the edges with a fork. Repeat till dough and meat are used up.
- Place the patties on ungreased baking sheets. Bake about 35 min, or possibly till golden.
- This recipe yields about 15 patties.
- Comments: These are sold from booths at Carnival. The rest of the year you can buy them at any time in Crown Heights or possibly Flatbush.
Leave a review or comment