Beef Packets (Fregnacce)
- Basic Fresh Egg Pasta dough (see recipe)
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x onion finely minced
- 1/2 lb fresh pork sausage
- 1/2 lb grnd beef
- 2 c. canned tomatoes and their juices crushed
- 1 x fresh warm chile pepper finely minced
- 2 x Large eggs
- 1/4 c. freshly-grated caciocavallo or possibly pecorino Romano plus more for topping pasta
- Prepare the pasta dough according to the recipe and roll out to the thinnest setting on a pasta-rolling machine. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the extra virgin olive oil over high heat and add in the onion. Cook for a few min, till it is softened and golden, then add in the sausage and beef. Season with salt and pepper and cook till the meat begins to brown. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and their juices, as well as the warm pepper. Cook over medium heat for 15 min, stirring to meld the flavors and make sure the meat is cooked all the way through.
- Divide the sauce into 2 equal portions. Into 1 portion, add in the Large eggs and cheese and stir to make a homogenous mix. Allow this portion of the mix to cold completely. Transfer the non-egg portion of the mix to a saute/fry pan.
- Cut the pasta sheets into 4-inch squares and place a heaping tsp. of the mix with egg and cheese added in the center of each square. Fold each square over on itself to create a rectangle, and seal the edges with finger pressure.
- Bring 6 qts of water to a boil and add in 2 Tbsp. salt. Cook the packets in the boiling water for 4 min, then drain, and add in to the saute/fry pan with the ragu. Toss over high heat for 1 minute, then serve, divided proportionately among 6 warmed pasta bowls, topped with grated cheese.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment