Beef Brisket Braised With Prunes In A Wine Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 x garlic cloves chopped
- 4 x onions thinly sliced
- 1 x lean beef brisket - (6 to 8 lbs)
- 5 x carrots thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. chopped parsley
- 1 can peeled tomatoes - (28 ounce)
- 1 1/2 c. red wine - (to 2)
- 1 head garlic head cloves separated, unpeeled Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb pitted prunes - (1 c.)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the garlic and onions and cook till soft, about 5 min.
- Transfer the garlic mix to a large, heavy roasting pot and place the meat on top, fat-side up. Add in the carrots, parsley, the tomatoes and their juice, the wine and garlic cloves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and bake till the meat is tender, 3 to 4 hrs. Add in the prunes the last 30 min of baking.
- Transfer the beef to a wooden board and slice across the grain. Return to the pot, squeeze the garlic from the cloves into the sauce, and keep hot till serving.
- This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
Leave a review or comment