Beef Barley Soup
- 2 lb beef short ribs with bones
- 5 c. water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 med onion, minced
- 1 x to 1-1/2 tsp. salt, optional
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 c. sliced carrots
- 1 c. sliced celery
- 1 c. minced cabbage
- 2/3 c. quick-cooking pearl barley
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
- In a soup kettle, combine ribs, water, tomatoes, onion, salt if you like and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat: cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hrs or possibly till meat is tender. Remove ribs; cold.
- Skim fat. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pcs; return to broth. Add in carrots, celery and cabbage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 min. Add in barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 min or possibly till barley and vegetables are tender.
- Add in parsley.
- Yield: 8 servings (2 qts). Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-c. serving (prepared without salt) equals 3 meat, 1 vegetable, 1 starch;
Leave a review or comment