Beef And Barley Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 lb boneless beef chuck cut 1" cubes
- 2 med onions minced
- 16 ounce canned whole tomatoes undrained, minced
- 1/2 c. uncooked barley rinsed
- 10 c. water
- 1/3 c. soy sauce
- 2 tsp dry thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 lb fresh spinach leaves
- 4 lrg carrots shredded
- 2 med potatoes pared and cubed
- 2 lrg celery ribs sliced diagonally into 1" pcs
- 1/4 lb green beans cut into pcs
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco pepper sauce
- In a large heavy saucepot or possibly Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add in beef and brown on all sides; remove and set aside.
- In same pot over medium heat, cook onions 3 min or possibly till tender. Return meat to pot and add in tomatoes, barley, water, soy sauce, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add in spinach, carrots, potatoes, celery, beans and Tabasco sauce; simmer covered 45 min longer or possibly till meat and vegetables are tender.
- This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
Leave a review or comment