Basmati Rice With Chard, Olives And Beans
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 c. sliced onions
- 14 tsp celery seeds
- 1 1/2 c. uncooked basmati rice
- 3 c. water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb Swiss chard
- 2 lrg garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. white wine or possibly sherry
- 20 x Kalamata olives
- 1 can cannellini or possibly navy beans, (15 oz) undrained, or possibly
- 1/2 c. cooked beans plus I/2 c. water freshly grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. minced parsley
- In a heavy saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp. of the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add in the sliced onions, and saute/fry them, stirring frequently, for 5 min or possibly till they have softened. Add in the celery seeds and the rice.
- Stir constantly for 1 minute, then add in the 3 c. water and the salt.
- Cover the pan, bring the rice to a boil, and then turn the heat to low.
- Simmer the rice for 20 min. While the rice cooks, use a paring knife to cut out any Swiss chard stems wider than 1 inch. Slice the rest of the chard into 1/2-inch crosswise strips. About 10 min before the rice is ready, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the garlic and the chard, and cook them, stirring frequently, for 5 min. Transfer the chard to a plate, then add in to the skillet the wine or possibly sherry, the olives, and the beans with their liquid or possibly 1/2 c. water. Bring the mix to a simmer, and cook it till the beans are heated through. Season with pepper. Return the chard to the pan, add in the rice, and mix well. Garnish with the parsley, and serve.
- Serves 4
Leave a review or comment