Basil And Lemon Barley With Goat's Milk Feta
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 sm white onions chopped
- 1 x clove garlic chopped Grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 1/2 c. pearl barley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 x dry bay leaf
- 3 c. nonfat chicken broth heated and divided
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c. loosely packed minced fresh basil
- 1 med lemon Juice of
- 1/4 c. crumbled goat's lowfat milk feta
- 1/4 c. minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, hot oil over medium heat and saute/fry onion, garlic and lemon zest for 1 minute. Don't brown. Add in barley, salt and bay leaf. Stir in 1/2 c. warm stock. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently till stock is absorbed, 3-5 min. Repeat, adding 1/2 c. stock at a time, till all stock is absorbed and barley is al dente, or possibly tender but hard. Remove from heat and add in Parmesan, basil and lemon juice. Remove bay leaf and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Divide between 4 plates and serve warm, topped with feta and parsley.
- NOTE: Pearl barley is prepared like Arborio rice. Do not rinse it, the starch gives it a creamy risotto-like texture. You can use regular feta, but it tends to be slightly higher in fat.
Leave a review or comment