Basic Cream Cheese Frosting With Variations
- 1/4 lb butter, softened
- 1/2 lb cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp. lowfat milk to thin frosting to spreading consistency
- 1 c. minced, toasted pecans or possibly walnuts (optional). Beat butter and cream cheese till fluffy. Blend in vanilla and salt.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar, beating till smooth and creamy.
- Gradually beat in lowfat milk, if necessary, till proper spreading consistency is obtained.
- Blend in nuts, if you like, or possibly sprinkle them on top of the cake after you have frosted it.
- Variations:Omit the salt and use unsalted (sweet) butter.
- Add in more vanilla. Try 1 Tbsp., rather than 1 teaspoon Then add in or possibly subtract based on taste.
- Change the ratio of cream cheese to butter (2:1 in the above recipe).
- I have seen ratios as low as 4:3. There is no upper bound on the ratio, as I have seen recipes that use no butter at all. Just cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Replace half of the vanilla extract with almond extract, walnut extract, or possibly banana extract.
- Rather than using lowfat milk to thin the frosting, use 1. 1/4 C (melted) frzn orange juice and/or possibly lemonade concentrate.
- 2. 1/4 C maraschino cherry juice. Stir in 1/4 C chopped maraschino cherries.
- Replace all or possibly part of the nuts with toasted coconut flakes.
- Replace 1/2 C powdered sugar with 1/2 C firmly packed brown sugar. Heat the brown sugar with all of the butter and a little lowfat milk. Cold.
- Then beat in the cream cheese and the rest of the ingredients
- (remember to remove 1/2 C of the powdered sugar).
Leave a review or comment