Basant Panchami –Meethe Chawal…Yellow Rice...Prep: 10 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 2by shalini10 recipes>
Each year is the same story,I call my mum and ask her how to make the Peele Chawal…the fragrant sweet yello saffron rice…and every year I forget. This was a brainwave…I had to immortalize this recipe…every mum has a different recipe for these… I may not have been very academically inclined when I was younger,and time has not played its tunes right with mne. I still am not academically inclined….daddy dear will vouch for that. He has been after my blood to take some exams…every year I postpone them.Kya Karen yeh brain hai ki manta hi nahin! Here’s hoping ,this year I manage to fulfill my dad’s aspirations…. This is for Goddess Saraswati ,the goddess of learning . we dress in yellow and pray and offer the yellow rice and yellow flowers to her. We enjoy the rice for breakfast and hope that the coming year is good academically. This time my rice came out flawless and fragrant and fluffy. Hope it augurs well! Here’s hoping ,this year I manage to fulfill my dad’s aspirations…. This is for Godess Saraswati ,the goddess of learning . we dress in yellow and pray and offer the yellow rice and yellow flowers to her. We enjoy the rice for breakfast and hope that the coming year is good academically. This time my rice came out flawless and fragrant and fluffy. Hope it augurs well!
- 1 cup basmati rice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 pinch generous saffron
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 tsp desi ghee/clarified butter
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 2 cups water
- A few drops yellow food coloring
- Before you start soak the rice for at least 30 minutes.
- Thatâs the little ghee; even a teeny weenie amount adds an oomph to the dish, especially if it is sweet.
- Lightly sautÃ© the almonds,you can add cashews too, even raisins are greatâ¦even the humble dried coconut is greatâ¦make it once and then make changes to suit your taste buds.
- Now the drained rice. Lightly sautÃ©, taking care, not to break the rice.Add one cup water to this rice and cover and cook on a low flame. Keep an eye on the rice because half the water is missing!
- The other half of the water, with the sugar and the green cardamom pods.Bring to a boil.
- I like to add some strands to the boiling sugar syrup too.
- In the warm milk add the saffron.
- Once the syrup boils and the milk has taken the color of the saffron, add the milk to it and give it rolling boil for 2-3 minutes.In the meanwhile the water in the other pan must be absorbedâ¦.time to pour the sugar solution into the rice and cover it to cook further.
- A wordâ¦keeps a check. When the rice has just, a just a biteâ¦turn the gas off and keep the pan covered.
- 10 minutes and you are done.
- Fluff up the rice ....
Leave a review or comment