barley salad with almonds and apricotsPrep: 20 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 4by Chef Anil Kamath3 recipes>
This salad is fruity, high in fibre and full of flavour. And if you like, curd can also be added here.
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- , sliced 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 lemon, juiced 1/2 teaspoon
- ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon
- ground turmeric 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Rinse barley in a fine sieve. Bring water to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Stir in the barley, and return to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until water is absorbed, about 45 to 50 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Pour oil into a small skillet, and place over medium heat. Add onion, and saute until golden brown.
- In a serving dish, combine barley, onion, apricots, almonds, and parsley. Toss.
- In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, and nutmeg. Pour over the barley mixture ,and toss well to combine. Serve at room temperature.
Leave a review or comment