Barbecue Brisket With Jane
- 1 x beef brisket - (5 to 6 lbs) Coarse salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 2 med onions - (to 3) cut large dice
- 2 lrg carrots - (to 3) cut 1" pcs
- 5 can Campbell's French onion soup - (10 1/2 ounce (or possibly beef broth)
- 1 1/2 c. Sankaty Barbecue Sauce plus more at the Martha Stewart website)
- 1/2 c. Jack Daniel's whiskey
- 8 x crusty rolls - (to 10) Cole slaw for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a sharp knife, lightly score the brisket in a cross-hatch pattern. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. When oil is warm but not smoking, add in brisket, and cook till well browned all over, 1 to 3 min per side. Remove, and set aside.
- Add in onions, carrots, and the soup. Return the brisket to the pot, and add in 1 c. barbecue sauce and the whiskey. Cover, and transfer to oven. Cook till brisket is very tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hrs. Transfer brisket to a platter; set aside. Throw away liquid and vegetables.
- Preheat a grill. Brush the brisket on one side with 1/4 c. of barbecue sauce. Place sauce-side down on grill. Cook till lightly charred, about 5 min. Brush second side with remaining 1/4 c. sauce. Turn, and cook till lightly charred, about 5 min. Remove from grill. Slice brisket against the grain 1/4-inch thick. Serve on a roll, topped with more barbecue sauce and cole slaw.
- This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
Leave a review or comment