Banana Yogurt n Spice loaf cakePrep: 10 min Cook: 55 min Servings: 10by Foodessa345 recipes>
I loved coming home to the aroma of Mom's amazingly aromatic and tasty banana cake. As I got older and of course more reasonable with desserts...I knew something had to change! I did realize that this classic had to somehow be turned around or else my body would make me regret it! Hence, with some patient tweaking, I've finally found the right balance between flavour and nutrition. For a dedicated post...refer to: http://www.foodessa.com/2010/04/recipe-banana-yogurt-n-spice-loaf.html
- . >(American / Metric measures)<
- . FIRST PART:
- . 1-1/2 cups (250g) A.P. flour
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) baking soda
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) baking powder
- . 1/4 tsp. (1.25ml) ground cinnamon
- . 1/4 tsp. (1.25ml) ground cardamom
- . 1/8 tsp. (0.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- . 1/8 tsp. (0.5 ml) ground cloves
- . SECOND PART:
- . 2 cups (500ml) very ripe bananas, mashed
- (about 4 v.large bananas...Or (6 small-med. bananas)
- . 2/3 cup (170ml) 'Greek-style' yogurt (strained* of its water) or 1/3 cup (85ml) ‘Ricotta’ cheese
- . 1/2 cup (110g) granulated sugar
- . 1 Tbsp. (15ml) vegetable oil (grape seed preferred)
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) pure Vanilla extract
- . 1 xLarge egg
- .>> Optional ADD-INS<<
- . Up to 1/2 cup worth (85g): dried cranberries, raisins, chopped apricots, figs or candied ginger.
- . And / Or 1/2 cup worth (40g): sliced almonds, shredded coconut
- For the strained yogurt: place the required yogurt...about 2/3 cup into a cheesecloth or coffee filter through a sieve and let it drain out its water content before using. This usually takes about 30 minutes.
- . Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas4. Position the oven rack in the center of the oven. Loaf pan size: 5-1/2 x 9 inch (13cm x 23cm). Pan should be well oiled. Also, for easy cake pull-out: add one piece of parchment paper covering 2 sides only.
- . In a medium bowl...place all ingredients from [part-1]...set aside.
- . In a medium-large bowl...mix all ingredients from [part-2]
- . Take the dry mix and slowly blend them into the wet mixture. Do not over mix.
- . Optional: Mix your preferred 'add-ins' ...up to the required quantity. Mix until incorporated.
- . Pour the mix into the prepared cake pan.
- . BAKE for about 50-55 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
- . Let it cool at least 15 minutes before turning it out and placing it on a cooling rack.
- . IF you don't think that you'll be devouring this cake in the next few days...this cake freezes very well.
- . Happy baking and flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com
Leave a review or comment