Banana Ice Cream With Caramel Sauce And Crispy Plantain Chip
- 3 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. lowfat milk
- 1 x vanilla bean halved and scraped
- 9 x egg yolks
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 2 x bananas peeled, and sliced into 1/3" rounds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 c. bourbon
- 1/4 c. rum
- 3/4 c. brown sugar - (packed)
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 3/4 c. minced toasted pecans
- 1 tsp grnd allspice
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. grnd cinnamon Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 x green plantains sliced as thin as possible on a mandoline
- In a saucepan combine heavy cream and lowfat milk with vanilla bean and bring to a simmer. In a bowl whisk egg yolks with sugar till smooth. Ladle a small amount of the warm cream mix into the beaten yolks and whisk to combine. Add in a few more ladlefuls of warm cream into egg-cream mix and mix well.
- Return egg-cream mix to the remaining warm cream in pot and continue to cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till mix thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Don't allow to boil.
- Immediately transfer custard to a clean bowl and place in an ice bath. Stir till cold, then chill till thoroughly chilled before processing.
- While custard is chilling, heat butter in a saute/fry pan and add in brown sugar. Add in banana pcs, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook, stirring, till bananas have softened and caramelized. Remove pan from heat and add in bourbon and rum (away from flame), return to heat and continue to cook till liquid has evaporated. Transfer banana mix to a small bowl and chill till cold.
- When custard is cool, process in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer"s instructions. Add in bananas near end of processing time.
- Serve with Caramel Sauce and Crispy Plantain Chips as a garnish. (
- Makes about 1 qt ice cream)
- Caramel Sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, butter and heavy cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and continue to cook for 3 to 4 min, till thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Stir in pecans and keep hot till ready to serve with Banana Ice Cream and Crispy Plantain Chips.
- Crispy Plantain Chips: In a deep fryer or possibly large saucepan heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees. Fry plantain strips in batches till slightly golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 min. Remove to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle immediately with spiced sugar and serve as a garnish alongside Banana Ice Cream.
Leave a review or comment