Banana Cream Pie With Chocolate Chip Cookie Crust
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 lb purchased frzn semisweet chocolate chip cookie dough thawed
- 1/2 c. minced walnuts
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 lrg egg yolks
- 7 c. whole lowfat milk
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter - (1/4 stick)
- 1 Tbsp. dark rum
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 med bananas peeled, and cut into 1/2"-thick slices
- 1 c. chilled whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar Chocolate curls (optional)
- Spray 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish with nonstick spray. Arrange 3/4 of cookie dough in prepared dish (reserve remaining dough for another use). Press dough proportionately onto bottom and up sides of dish, building high-standing dough edge on rim of dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 c. nuts; press nuts into dough. Pierce dough all over with toothpick. Freeze crust 1 hour.
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Fold 36-inch-long piece of foil lengthwise into thirds, forming 36- by 4-inch strip. Place pie dish on baking sheet. Stand foil strip snugly around dish, protecting outer edge of crust; secure overlap with paper clip. Bake crust till golden brown and dry to touch, about 25 min. Cold completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk 1/3 c. sugar, cornstarch, and salt to blend in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk in yolks; gradually add in lowfat milk, whisking till smooth. Whisk over medium-high heat till custard thickens and boils, about 6 min. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter, rum, and 1 tsp. vanilla. Transfer to large bowl; cold to lukewarm, whisking occasionally, about 45 min.
- Spread 1 c. custard in crust. Top with 3 sliced bananas, then remaining custard, covering bananas completely. Refrigeratepie till filling sets, about 2 hrs. Beat cream, powdered sugar and remaining 1 tsp. vanilla in medium bowl to peaks. Spread cream over pie. Chill at least 1 and up to 8 hrs. Garnish pie with chocolate curls, if you like. Cut into wedges and serve.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment