Balsamic Roasted Chicken With Peppers And Onions
- 2 whl chickens, (3 1/2 to 3 3/4 lbs. each), quartered
- 1 tsp Salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp Freshly grnd pepper, divided
- 3 lb Green, red and yellow peppers, cut into 1-inch strips
- 5 med Onions, (1 1/2 lbs.), quartered
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 c. Chicken broth
- 2/3 c. Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary, crushed Fresh rosemary sprigs, for garnish Cooked jasmine, basmati or possibly long-grain rice
- Do not let the amount of balsamic vinegar throw you: Its mild acidity, combined with the pan drippings from the roasted chicken, give this dish a wonderfully rich and mellow flavor. To save fat grams, throw away the skin.
- Prep time: 25 min Roasting time: 60 to 65 min Degree of difficulty: easy
- 1. Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Heat oven to 475 F.
- 2. Arrange chicken in 11x17-inch roasting pan; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Toss peppers and onions with oil in 15 1/2x10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan; sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. salt and remaining pepper.
- 3. Roast chicken on upper rack. After 10 min, place peppers and onions on lower rack. Roast both for 30 min.
- 4. Remove chicken from oven; transfer to plate. Stir peppers and onions; roast 10 to 20 min more till browned and caramelized.
- 5. Meanwhile, transfer pan drippings from roasting pan into a large glass measure; skim off fat. Stir in chicken broth, vinegar, garlic, oregano, rosemary and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Return chicken to pan. Spoon pan-drippings mix over chicken; return to oven and roast 20 to 25 min more, basting once after 10 min.
- 6. Transfer vegetables to serving platter; cover and keep hot. (Vegetables roast a total of 40 to 50 min.) When chicken is cooked through, arrange on platter. (Chicken cooks a total of 60 to 65 min.) Spoon 1/4 c. sauce if you like over top. To serve, pass remaining sauce. Garnish with rosemary and serve with rice, if you like.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 55 g to 90 g
Leave a review or comment