Baked Polenta With Italian Sausage, Mushrooms And Three Cheese
- 1 Tbsp. fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sm yellow onion, minced
- 2 lrg garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 med red sweet pepper, - cored, seeded and
- 1/2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, - (crimini, button,)
- 2 1/2 c. lowfat milk, broth or possibly water
- 3/4 c. yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp. minced Italian parsley
- 1/4 tsp grnd cayenne pepper
- 1 c. ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c. shredded gruyere cheese or possibly Swiss salt freshly grnd black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. butter or possibly margarine, melted
- 4 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese fresh tomato sauce fresh Italian parsley, - minced herb sprigs
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a medium skillet; sauteeonion, garlic, and sweet pepper till warm through. Add in crumbled sausage and continue cooking just till meat changes color. Stir in mushrooms and cook till warm through. Drain excess fat and set mix aside. Place lowfat milk or possibly other liquid in a large, heavy saucepan over moderately high heat; slowly add in cornmeal, stirring briskly with a wire whisk to prevent lumping.
- Bring to a boil and cook 10 min, or possibly till mix is very thick and smooth; stir constantly to prevent scorching. Remove pan from heat and stir in herbs, cayenne pepper, and ricotta and gruyere cheeses. Add in sausage and sweet pepper mix, combine well, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour mix into two 9-inch pie plates lined with plastic wrap. Cold on a wire rack, then cover and chill at least an hour, or possibly as long as three days. When ready to serve dish, preheat oven to 375F. Cut polenta in wedges and place on an oiled shallow baking pan large sufficient to hold polenta in one layer without crowding. Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 min, or possibly till polenta is lightly browned and very warm when tested with a small knife in center of wedge.
- Serve with Fresh Tomato Sauce, and garnish with minced fresh parsley and sprigs of herbs.
Leave a review or comment