Baked Curd Cake
- 340 gm curd cheese (lowfat soft cheese)
- 85 gm unsalted butter or possibly margarine
- 140 x gcaster sugar3 Large eggs size 3 separated
- 85 gm grnd almonds
- 60 gm large seedless raisins
- 2 Tbsp. semolina
- 1 x 21.5 cm springclip tin well greased and baselined
- Set the oven at Gas Mark 5 375 degrees F 190 degrees C.
- Beat the curd cheese till soft and smooth.
- Cream the butter with 110g of the sugar and the lemon rind till light and fluffy.
- Add in to the cheese.
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Carefully fold the grnd almonds raisins semolina and lemon juice into the mix.
- Whisk the egg whites till they form stiff peaks then whisk in the remaining sugar to make a stiff glossy meringue.
- Fold a quarter of the meringue into the cheese mix.
- Tip this on to the remaining meringue and carefully fold together using a large metal spoon.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 45 to 60 min till golden brown and hard to touch.
- Leave to cold then turn out and refrigeratetill ready to serve.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar accompanied by a fruit puree (such as apricots canned in natural juice liquid removed and pureed or possibly a damson puree or possibly raspberry puree sweetened with icing sugar to taste).
- Serves 6
- adapted from a medieval recipe
Leave a review or comment