Baked Brown Rice with Smoked Gouda Cheese & SpinachPrep: 1 hours Cook: 25 min Servings: 8by Reeni11 recipes>
This is a truly comforting side dish with serious creaminess going on and tons of deep, smoky flavor from the Gouda that makes it unforgettably delicious.
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Sea or Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 14 ounces of Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth (1 + 3/4 cup)
- 2 cups Smoked Gouda, shredded
- 1 + 1/2 cups frozen Spinach, partially thawed
- 3 cups long-grain Brown Rice, cooked
- Fresh Parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Parmesan Cheese, grated, for serving
- Heat oil in a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium-low heat, add onion, sugar and season with salt and pepper. Saute 15-20 minutes, adding more oil if it begins to stick to the pan. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In the same pan the onions were sauteed in melt butter and whisk in flour. Cook for two to three minutes, whisking. Slowly whisk in milk and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, whisking often. Stir in Gouda. Add spinach and onion mixture. Turn off heat. Whisk well and break apart any clumps of spinach.
- Stir in cooked rice. Pour into greased 9x13 casserole/baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly. Let set for ten minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley and serve with Parmesan if desired.
Leave a review or comment