Bagel Upama !Prep: 10 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 3by Manju Nair170 recipes>
Ever thought of eating Bagels other than with cream cheese :-) Well heres a lovely Indian twist to the all time American breakfast favourite...We bought these Garlic and roasted Onion Bagels with Poppy and Sesame seed topping and I thought why not make Bagel upama with it. You can use even plain Bagels to try out this recipe... Bread upama is quite commonly had as a breakfast dish in India, well now theres Bagel upama to add to your list! :-)
- Bagels (3-4) - Chopped into cubes
- Red Onion ( 1 large or 2 medium) - Thinly sliced
- Green chillies (3-4 ) - Thinly sliced
- Roma Tomato - 1 large
- Red Chilli powder - 1tsp (optional for those who like it spicy)
- Turmeric Powder - 1tsp
- Asafoetida powder - 1/4tsp
- Salt - 1.5tsp or to taste
- For Tempering:
- Oil - 1tbsp
- Black Mustard seeds - 1/2tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2tsp
- Fennel seeds (Saumf)- 1/2tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 1 ( Split in half)
- For Garnish:
- Chopped Corriander leaves - 3tbsp
- Optional Ingredients: (for extra flavour)
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1tbsp ( if using plain Bagels)
- Carrot / Capsicum(green peppers) / Mushroom - thin long slices
- Green Peas - 1/2cup
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds, once spluttered quickly add cumin seeds and dry red chilli.(make sure it doesnt burn)
- Add the chopped onions and green chillies and add some salt and saute until onions turn pink and soft.
- Now add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder(optional) and asafoetida powder and mix together for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomamtoes and stir until tomamtoes are soft but still chunky.
- now add the bagels which are cubed and stir together until bagels turns soft and soak in all the falvours. Add enough salt.
- Cover and cook for another 2 minutes on medium heat and tun off the heat.
- Garnish with corriander leaves.
- Serve hot with a cup of hot sweet tea :-)
- Suggestions: Adding ginger-garlic paste when using plain bagels really enhances the flavour.
- You can add any kind of veggies and make youself a simple and tasty Breakfast/Brunch, kids will love it :-)
Leave a review or comment