Avocado And Smoked Salmon Mousse
- 8 ounce thinly-sliced smoked salmon
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1 c. lowfat sour cream
- 1 tsp warm pepper sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 c. chopped scallions
- 1 lrg ripe avocado peeled, pitted, and cut into thin slices
- 1 jar salmon roe - (15 ounce) Toasted croutons or possibly crackers for dipping
- Line a 4-c. round mold with plastic wrap. Lay about 1/3 of the salmon over the plastic wrap, overlapping each slice slightly and hanging the ends over the edge, to cover the mold. Chop the remaining salmon into 1/2-inch pcs and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and lowfat sour cream till creamy and well combined. Add in the warm pepper sauce and salt and stir well.
- In a small saucepan, heat the lemon juice over very low heat. Pour into a 1/2-c. ramekin and sprinkle with the gelatin, stirring till the gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir into the cream cheese mix. Mix in the minced smoked salmon and scallions.
- Spoon 1/3 of the mousse into the mold, top with a layer of avocado slices, then gently spread with 1/2 the salmon roe. Spread 1/3 of the mousse on top of the roe, and top with the remaining avocado slices and roe. Spread the remaining mousse over the top and fold the overhanging salmon strips over to completely enclose the mousse. Cover with the plastic wrap and refrigeratetill hard, about 3 hrs.
- To unmold, place the mold in a bowl of hot water for 10 seconds. Unwrap the plastic from the bottom of the mold and invert the mold onto a serving plate. Gently shake to release the mold and unwrap completely. Serve with toasted croutons or possibly crackers.
- This recipe yields about 20 servings as an hors d"oeuvre.
Leave a review or comment