Autumn Pork And Apple Stew
- 1 x 3-lb. boneless pork shoulder (butt) roast cut into 2-inch cubes, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 x minced onions
- 2 x carrots pared, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 x granny smith apples peeled, cored, quartered
- 3/4 c. apple cider
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/4 tsp grnd allspice
- 1/4 tsp rubbed sage
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in pork cubes and brown on all sides, turning as needed, about 5 min. Transfer pork to plate, season with salt and pepper.
- Add in onions, carrots and apples to skillet and cook, stirring often, till onions begin to brown, about 5-6 min.
- Transfer to a 3 1/2-qt slow cooker and top with pork cubes. Add in apple cider, thyme, allspice and sage to skillet. Bring to a simmer, scraping up brown bits on bottom of skillet; add in to the slow cooker.
- Cover and slow-cook till pork is tender, 6-7 hrs on low.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a serving bowl, cover to keep hot. Skim off fat from surface of cooking liquid.
- In food processor or possibly blender, puree cooking liquid and solids till smooth. Pour sauce over meat, stir gently and serve immediately.
- Wine suggestion: Serve with a lightly chilled Riesling or possibly Gewurztraminer.
Leave a review or comment