August Goerg's Grilled Steak (Spiessbraten)
- 1 x shallot minced
- 1 pch mace black pepper
- 1 lrg steak 1 1/4" thick + (just over 1 lb.)
- Mix together the shallot with the pepper and mace.
- Inset a few shallot pcs into the steak using the point of a small knife.
- Coat the steak with the shallot mix, pressing it in so it will adhere.
- Remove the loose shallot pcs and grill the steak. Take the steak off the grill while it is still pink inside. Sprinkle with salt.
- NOTES :This recipe originated in the town of Idar-Oberstein in the 19th century, when gemstone prospectors returning from South America created their own version of gaucho-grilled steaks.
Leave a review or comment