Aubergine And Portobello Lasagnas, Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette
- 1 lb plum tomatoes quartered
- 1 1/2 c. coarsely-minced fennel bulb
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 4 lrg Japanese aubergines trimmed, each cut lengthwise into four 1/3"-thk slices
- 3 med portobello mushrooms stems trimmed, and caps sliced
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 3 c. spinach leaves rinsed
- 4 x thin slices low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 x roasted red bell peppers from jar liquid removed, and cut into 1/2"-wide strips
- 8 lrg basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange tomatoes and fennel in 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Drizzle oil over; toss to blend. Bake till fennel is tender and begins to brown, about 45 min. Cold.
- Spray 2 nonstick baking sheets with vegetable oil spray. Arrange aubergine and mushroom slices on prepared sheets. Bake till vegetables are tender, about 30 min for aubergine slices and 40 min for mushrooms.
- Puree tomato mix in processor. Transfer to strainer set over bowl. Press on solids to extract liquid; throw away solids. Stir vinegar into liquid. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Stir spinach in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat till wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray four 1 1/4-c. custard dishes with vegetable oil spray. Line each dish with 2 aubergine slices in crisscross pattern. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top each with 1/4 of spinach. Top each with 1 mozzarella slice. Arrange pepper strips over, then basil and mushrooms. Top with remaining aubergine slices, cutting to fit. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover each dish with foil. (Vinaigrette and lasagnas can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.)
- Bake lasagnas till very tender, about 25 min. Remove foil. Using small knife, cut around vegetables to loosen. Invert onto plates. Spoon vinaigrette over.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: These individual vegetable terrines can be assembled a day ahead.
Leave a review or comment