Asian Style Chicken Noodle Soup
- 5 lb chicken backs and necks
- 5 quart water
- 1 x chicken breast
- 1 x (3 inch) piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 x onion, coarsely minced
- 4 whl cloves
- 4 x black peppercorns
- 2 piece star anise
- 2 x lemons
- 2 x green onions Salt and pepper, to taste Healthy pinch of sugar
- 8 ounce egg noodles or possibly other pasta
- 1 x carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- 1 x celery stalk, cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices Fresh basil, leaves cut into chiffonade Minced fresh cilantro
- Combine the chicken backs and necks, water, chicken breast, ginger, onion, cloves, peppercorns and star anise in heavy large stockpot. Cut one lemon into quarters. Add in to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 min, till chicken breast is cooked through. Transfer breast to plate.
- Continue simmering stock, skimming any foam which rises to surface, till reduced by half, about 1-1 1/2 hrs.
- Strain into large skillet. Skim fat.
- Remove meat from chicken breast and tear into shreds. Throw away skin and bones.
- Thinly slice green onions, keeping white and green parts separate. Season stock with generous amount of salt and pepper. Add in healthy pinch of sugar. Bring to boil. Add in pasta, white parts of green onion, carrot and celery. Boil till pasta is tender, but still hard to the bite. Adjust seasoning. Add in chicken. Heat through.
- Cut remaining lemon into wedges. Serve soup with basil, cilantro, green onion tops and lemon wedges.
- Serves four to six.
Leave a review or comment