Apple Cranberry Gem Tarts
- 1 2/3 c. Whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbsp. Date sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Unsalted butter -- chilled
- 3 Tbsp. Safflower oil
- 1 x Egg white
- 1 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. Ice water
- 3/4 c. Cranberries
- 2 c. Sliced green apples
- 1/4 c. Apple juice or possibly apple brandy
- 1/4 c. Dry currants or possibly raisins
- 1 c. Maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Arrowroot pwdr
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon rind -- grated
- 1/2 c. Grnd almonds or possibly walnuts
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and date sugar. Make a well in center of dry ingredients and grate in butter and stir in oil. With fingers or possibly a pastry mixer, combine butter and flour mix till it is the texture of cornmeal. Don't overmix or possibly butter will heat. Add in egg white, vinegar, and sufficient of the ice water to create 8 small balls of dough. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill for 10 min.
- 2. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine cranberries, apples, apple juice, currants, and maple syrup. Cook, uncovered, till berries pop. In a small bowl combine arrowroot with lemon juice and add in to cranberries along with cinnamon and lemon rind. Cook, stirring frequently, till mix thickens. Remove from heat and let cold 10 min.
- 3. Lightly flour a counter or possibly breadboard. Roll each ball of dough into a 6-inch circle and press into a 4-inch tart pan (preferably one with fluted edges). Fill two thirds full with cranberry filling and sprinkle with grnd almonds. Bake for 20 min. Let cold before serving.
- Makes 8 tarts.
- Note: Crunchy date sugar adds a fruity taste to the whole wheat pastry dough, but if it is not available, substitute an equal amount of maple sugar or possibly honey.
Leave a review or comment