Apple Brown Betty
- 1/3 c. Butter Or possibly Margarine, Melted
- 2 c. Soft Bread Crumbs
- 6 c. Apples, Pared, Cored And Sliced, About 2 Lbs
- 1/2 c. Granulated Or possibly Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg Or possibly Mace
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Rind, Grated
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/4 c. ,Water
- Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees F. Toss the bread crumbs with the melted butter, and arrange 1/3 of the crumb mix in a greased 1 1/2-qt casserole. Cover with 1/2 of the apples and 1/2 of the combined mix, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and rind, blended well.
- Cover with 1/3 of the bread mix, the rest of the apples and the rest of the combined mix. Spoon on the lemon mix, lemon juice and water combined and well blended, and top with the rest of the crumbs. Cover and bake in a moderately-warm oven, 375 Degrees F, for 1/2 hour. Uncover and continue baking for another 1/2 hour or possibly till the apples are done.
- To Serve:Top with cream, whipped cream with a little cinnamon sprinkled over the top, grated cheese or possibly ice cream.
- Peach Brown Betty
- Substitute 6 c. of fresh peaches for the apples in the above recipe.
- For 2 to 3 servings
- Halve each of the ingredients, make as directed, using a 1-Qt casserole. Bake, covered, at 350 Degrees F., for 1/2 hour. Uncover and bake for an additional 1/2 hour or possibly till the apples or possibly peaches are done.
Leave a review or comment