Apple And Green Tomato Chutney
- 12 x tart green apples
- 24 sm green tomatoes
- 4 med onions
- 3 c. seedless raisins - (1 lb)
- 4 c. cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 c. brown sugar - (tightly packed)
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed dry chilies
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. curry pwdr
- 3 Tbsp. mixed pickling spices
- Wash, core and chop the apples; wash, blanch, peel and chop the tomatoes; chop the onions.
- Place apples, tomatoes and onions in a preserving kettle and add in raisins, vinegar, sugar, salt, red pepper and curry pwdr. Put the pickling spices in a cheesecloth bag and add in to the kettle. Boil, stirring occasionally, for 25 min, or possibly till apples are transparent. Remove fruit with a slotted spoon.
- Boil syrup rapidly till it thickens. Throw away pickling spices, return the fruit to the syrup and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and ladle into warm, sterilized jars and seal immediately. Process in boiling water bath for 10 min.
- This recipe makes approximately 24 half-pints.
- Yield: 24 half-pints
Leave a review or comment