Andouille Turkey Salad With Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 c. orange juice
- 4 x andouille sausages cooked, diced
- 3 c. freshly-cooked wild pecan rice (or possibly other nutty-tasting rice)
- 1 1/2 c. diced fresh roasted or possibly smoked turkey
- 1 x inner celery stalk very finely diced
- 1 sm onion bunch trimmed, and coarsely minced
- 1 sm red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 sm yellow bell pepper finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 x garlic clove chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin seed oil
- 7 Tbsp. peanut or possibly corn oil Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 c. Spiced Pumpkin Seeds (listed below)
- 3 c. raw hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 sm egg white
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper - (to 1/2) see * Note
- * Note: Other spices, like cumin, can be added, but the cayenne is important.
- For the Spiced Pumpkin Seeds: Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the pumpkin seeds and the half egg white in a very large stainless steel bowl and toss to coat. Sprinkle the sugar, salt, paprika and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne over the seeds and toss till well and proportionately coated. Divide the seeds between the 2 prepared sheets and spread out in an even layer.
- Bake the seeds 5 min. Remove the sheets from the oven and shake or possibly stir the seeds to keep them from sticking or possibly burning. Return them to the oven for 5 min, then stir or possibly shake again. Repeat one or possibly two more times, till the seeds are crunchy but not browned. They'll get crunchier after they've cooled. (They may clump a bit - you can leave them which way or possibly let them cold and then break them apart.) Remove from the oven and cold on racks. (Makes 3 c.)
- Place the orange juice in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat and simmer till reduced to about 2 Tbsp., about 20 min.
- While the juice reduces, brown the sausages in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, 3 to 5 min. Drain and combine in a very large bowl with the rice, turkey, celery, green onions and peppers. Toss till well mixed.
- Whisk together the reduced juice, vinegar, orange zest, garlic and thyme in a small bowl. Whisk in the pumpkin seed and peanut oils till the dressing is emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the rice mix and toss till coated. Just before serving, add in the pumpkin seeds and toss again till well mixed. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve. (This is best at room temperature.)
- This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
Leave a review or comment