Anasazi Butternut Squash Soup With Chorizo And Pepitas
- 3/4 c. Dry kidney beans
- 1 lb Beef chorizo sausages, casings removed
- 1 lrg Onion, minced
- 2 x Garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 c. Water
- 2 can Beef broth, (14 1/2-oz)
- 3 c. Peeled seeded butternut squash, (1/2-inch pcs)
- 1 x Red bell pepper, finely minced
- 1 x Green bell pepper, finely minced
- 1 1/4 c. Frzn corn kernels
- 2/3 c. Shelled pepitas, toasted
- Place kidney beans in medium bowl. Pour sufficient water over to cover beans by 3 inches. Let stand overnight. Drain.
- Saute/fry chorizo in heavy large pot over medium heat till cooked through and fat is rendered, about 10 min. Transfer chorizo to paper towels; drain, leaving 2 Tbsp. drippings in pot. Add in onion and garlic; saute/fry till tender, about 6 min. Add in 3 c. water, broth and beans; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover. Simmer till beans are tender, 1 hour.
- Add in squash to soup. Cover; simmer till tender, about 15 min.
- Stir in bell peppers, corn and chorizo; simmer uncovered about 10 min longer.
- Meanwhile, set aside 2 Tbsp. pepitas for garnish. Blend remaining pepitas in blender till finely grnd.
- Stir grnd pepitas into soup. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with reserved pepitas and serve.
- Makes 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment