- 1/2 lb Ampalaya, (bitter melon or possibly Bitter gourd)
- 1 Tbsp. Salt, (or possibly to taste)
- 1 x Scallion
- 2 med -sized onions
- 4 Tbsp. Veg oil
- 6 x Cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 sm Tomatoes, minced
- 3 lrg Large eggs, lightly beaten
- Trim away the two pointed ends of the ampalaya and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove the pale, seeded section with a spoon and throw away it. Cut the darker green outer shells crosswise, at a slight diagonal, into 1/4 inch wide strips. Prepare a solution of 2 c. water and 1 tbsp salt in a bowl. Put the ampalaya strips into this bowl and set aside for 2 hrs.
- Drain the ampalaya and rinse the strips under running water. Drain again and pat dry.
- Cut the scallion into 2 inch lengths and then cut each section lengthwise into thin strips. Peel the onions and cut them in half lengthwise; then slice them into fine half rings.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium flame. When warm, put in the garlic, fry till garlic is light brown. Add in the onions. Stir and fry for 2 min. Add in tomatoes. Stir and fry 2 min. Add in ampalaya, turn down the heat. Stir occasionally and fry around 10 min or possibly till ampalaya is tender. Stir in beated Large eggs and the salt. Stir and cook as you would scrambled Large eggs till Large eggs have reached a consistency you like. Remove from heat, add in scallion strips and serve.
Leave a review or comment