Almond Skordalia With Gigande Beans
- 11 slc white bread crusts removed
- 1 c. whole almonds blanched, minced
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped
- 5 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 c. dry gigande beans or possibly other large white beans
- 1 x celery stalk cut in 1" pcs
- 1 x carrot peeled, and cut in 1" pcs
- 1 med onion quartered
- 2 x bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 2 x garlic cloves halved
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp fresh grnd pepper
- 1 Tbsp. flat-leaf parsley minced
- Place bread on a try to dry for 24 hrs.
- Place almonds and garlic in a food processor; process till smooth, 30 seconds.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, and salt. Drop bread into a bowl of cold water 1 slice at a time. When soaked, squeeze each slice between your palms, extracting half the water. Add in bread and oil mix to almonds in processor; process till smooth, 20 seconds.
- Transfer skordalia to a bowl; chill 2 hrs.
- To serve, bring to room temperature and fold in 1/2 c. cooking liquid from Gigande Beans or possibly chicken stock; serve the beans over skordalia. (Makes 2 1/2 c.)
- Pick over and rinse beans. Place in a bowl, cover with water, and chill overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans; place in a saucepan with 4 1/2 c. water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add in celery, carrot, onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, and garlic. Cook, partially covered, for 45 min; add in 1 tsp. salt after 35 min. Let beans cold in cooking liquid, about 1 hour.
- Drain beans; reserve cooking liquid but throw away solids. Toss beans with oil, remaining 1 1/2 tsp. salt, pepper, parsley, and 1/4 c. cooking liquid. Serve over Skordalia.
- This recipe yields 10 servings.
Leave a review or comment