ALMOND crust LEMON sunshine barServings: 16by Foodessa345 recipes>
Traditional lemon bars gets another twist as tangy sweetness is devoured. Partial almond flour crust balances the creamy custard feathered with powdered sugar. For a dedicated post: https://www.foodessa.com/2019/06/almond-crust-lemon-sunshine-bars.html
- . > (American measures) <
- . PASTRY CRUST BASE:
- . 1 xLarge egg yolk
- . 2 Tbsps. water
- . 1 cup All-Purpose flour
- . 1 cup ground almonds (blanched almonds)
- . 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- . 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- . 2 Tbsps. Lemon zest, finely grated (2 medium lemons)
- . 1/2 cup (120g) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- . > LEMON CUSTARD:
- . 1 xLarge egg white
- . 4 xLarge eggs
- . 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- . 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- . 1/4 cup All-Purpose flour
- . 1/2 cup Lemon juice (~2 medium lemons)
- . 1/2 cup milk (minimum 2% fat)
- . 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- . Pre-heat the oven to 400F (will be lowered later). Position the rack in the center of the oven. Line a 9 inch (or 8x11inch) baking dish with aluminium foil going up the sides. Grease it with a little oil.
- . > PASTRY CRUST BASE: In a very small bowl, whisk the egg yolk and water. Set aside. In a food processor, place all the DRY ingredients excluding the butter. Pulse a few times before adding the cold, butter through the spout. Pulse a few more times until the mix looks crumbly. Then, keep the food processor on while pouring the egg yolk mixture through the spout. Run machine only until the dough comes together and off the sides. Press the dough evenly throughout the bottom of greased dish. Dock it with a fork. BAKE it for 12 minutes or until golden.
- . LEMON CUSTARD: Wipe the food processor lightly. Place all remaining ingredients into it. PULSE a few times before whirling it to combine smooth (about 1 minute). Pour this custard into the baked and still very hot pastry crust.
- . LOWER the oven heat to 325F. BAKE another 30 minutes. Let it cool for at least 2-1/2 hours before lifting out of the foil in order to cut* the 16 small squares. * Wet a sharp knife with hot water and wipe. Cut a few slices and repeat in order to get nice squares. Garnish with optional icing sugar.
- . Store in an airtight container for no more than 2 days. They unfortunately lose their fresh bite quickly. They can also be frozen the same day with parchment paper in between. Then, thaw at room temperature.
- . Flavourful wishes from Claudia's kitchen...Foodessa.com
Leave a review or comment