Almond Cherry Bread In A Jar
- 9 pt Jars -- widemouth ONLY
- 2 c. Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Pwdr
- 2 c. Maraschino cherries -- liquid removed, dry & cut
- 1/2 c. Almonds -- blanched & grnd
- 1/4 c. Flour -- (second)
- 1 1/2 c. Sugar
- 8 ounce Cream Cheese -- softened
- 1 c. Butter or possibly Margarine -- softened
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 4 x Large eggs -- (room temperature)
- You will need 9 wide-mouth pint-size canning jars, metal rings and lids.
- Do not use any other size jars. Sterilize jars, lids and rings according to manufacturer's directions. Grease inside, but not the rim of jars with vegetable shortening. Mix flour & baking pwdr & set aside. Mix cherries, grnd almonds and 1/4 c. of flour and set aside. Cream together the sugar, Large eggs, cream cheese, butter and almond extract till light & fluffy. Slowly add in the flour/baking pwdr mix, mixing well. Mix in the cherry/almond/flour mix till well mixed.
- Pour one c. of batter into prepared jars. Don't use more than one c. or possibly batter will overflow and jar won't seal. Place jars proportionately paced on a cookie sheet. Place in a pre-heated 325-degree oven for 35-40 min. Remove jars from oven one at a time keeping remaining jars in oven. Working quickly, wipe rim, place lid and ring on jar and secure. Jars will seal quickly. Repeat with remaining jars. Unsealed jars should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten within 2 weeks.
- Sealed jars may be stored with other canned foods in a cold, dark place, or possibly stored in your freezer. The cake may be eaten as long as the jar remains vacuum-sealed and free from mold. If you don't choose to freeze your jar cakes, be sure to check the seals on your cakes each month, and throw away any jars that have lost their seal or possibly have a questionable seal. To serve, the cake should slip easily from the jar. Slice each jar cake into 4 rounds, and serve sprinkled with powdered sugar, or possibly with fresh fruit on the side.
- Notes :*To make loaves instead of cakes in jars: Pour batter into 2 greased loaf pans (9 inch) and bake in preheated 325 degree F oven for about 1 hour or possibly till a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cold in pan or possibly on wire rack. Real Food For Real People
Leave a review or comment