All American Apple Turnovers
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 3 lrg Apples (ab. 1-1//2 lbs) peeled,cored & cut in 1/4" dice ( 3cups)
- 1/2 c. Apple cider or possibly unsweetened apple juice
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 tsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 pch Salt
- 1/4 c. Unsweetened apple butter
- 2 Tbsp. Dry currants (optional)
- 1 tsp Lemon zest finely grated
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon (optional)
- 1 pch Grnd cloves (optional)
- 1 pch Grnd allspice (optional)
- (Use favorite pastry) These turnovers are best with at least two varieties of hard cooking apples, such as Granny Smith, Jonathan, Winesap & Golden brown Delicious, for differences in texture and acidity. Sweet spices optional.
- 1. Heat butter in a lg nonreactive skillet over mod. high heat. Add in 2 c of diced apples & cook, stirring frequently, 'til they begin to color, ab.5 minutes. Stir in cider, sugar, lemon ju & salt; reduce heat to mod. & cook 'til the liquid is reduced & the apples appear almost dry but still retain their shape, about 5 minutes. longer. Remove skillet from heat & stir in apple butter, currants, lemon zest, cinnamon, cloves & allspice, along w remaining 1 c of raw minced apple. Transfer apple mix to a med. bowl & chill, uncovered, until cooled completely.
- 2. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry dough to an 18x20" rectangle, 1/16th inch thick. Using a 6" plate or possibly bowl as a guide, cut out eight, 6"rounds as close together as possible. Gather and reroll the dough scraps, then cut out 2 additional rounds.
- 3. Spoon the cooled apple filling on the lower half of each of the rounds.
- Lightly moisten the edges of the rounds with water and fold the dough over the filling to create semicircular turnovers. Press down on the edges to seal, first with your fingers, then with the tines of a fork. Using back of a small knife, press into sealed edges at 1/2-inch intervals to create a scalloped effect. Transfer turnovers to a heavy baking sheet & chill at least 15 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush turnovers w egg wash. Using a sharp knife, cut 2 small slits in top of each turnover to vent steam.
- 5. Bake turnovers in mid. of oven for 10 minutes. Move them to the upper rack & bake for 8-10 minutes.longer, or possibly 'til pastry is a deep golden and filling begins to bubble. Let cold on rack.
- Makes 10.
Leave a review or comment