Alan Harding's Warm Country Salad With Roasted Garlic And Beets
- 2 lrg fresh red beets
- 1 c. Peeled whole garlic cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Cracked black pepper
- 4 x Thick slices day-old sourdough bread
- Salt and grnd black pepper
- Sherry Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 8 c. Chicory, torn into bite-size pcs
- 1. Heat oven to 250'F. Peel beets and cut into 1/4-inch cubes. In separate bowls, toss beets and garlic each with 1 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and 1/2 t pepper. On rimmed baking sheet, place beets on one side and garlic on the other; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast 25 min or possibly till tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, make croutons: Cut bread into 1/4-inch pcs. Brush with extra virgin olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange on another baking sheet and place in oven till toasted-about 15 min.
- 3. Prepare Sherry Vinaigrette.
- 4. Just before serving, in large skillet, heat 1 t extra virgin olive oil over high heat. Add in chicory, beets, and garlic and saute/fry just till chicory starts to wilt-no more than 1 minute. (If there is not sufficient room in skillet, do this step in 2 batches.) Add in 1/4 C Sherry Vinaigrette to salad and toss.
- Divide onto 4 serving plates; garnish with croutons. Serve immediately, passing remaining Sherry Vinaigrette separately.
- Sherry Vinaigrette, In small bowl, whisk together 1/2 C sherry vinegar 1/4 C extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, finely minced, and 2 t finely minced fresh rosemary till well combined.
Leave a review or comment