African Tomato And Harissa Soup With Coriander Cream
- 6 Tbsp. oil
- 450 gm onion finely minced
- 4 clv garlic crushed
- 4 x level tsp grnd cumin
- 2 x level tsp harissa
- 2 x level tbsp tomato paste 2 x 400g cans minced plum tomatoes in tomato juice
- 25 x mm fresh ginger grated
- 2 x level tsp caster sugar
- 2 lt light vegetable or possibly chicken stock
- 1 x salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- 200 ml double cream
- 6 x level tbsp roughly minced fresh coriander coriander sprigs and crushed black pepper to garnish hot naan bread to accompany
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion gently on the simmering plate for 5 min or possibly till soft but not coloured. Add in the garlic and cumin cook for 30 seconds then add in the harissa and tomato paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomatoes ginger sugar and stock.
- Season and bring to the boil then cook gently in the simmering oven for 20 min.
- Allow the mix to cold a little.
- Place in a blender and process till smooth.
- Sieve then return the soup to the pan. Bring to the boil and season again.
- lightly whip the cream then season and mix in coriander.
- To serve spoon the cream on top of the soup gamish and accompany with hot naan bread.
- This is a delicious warm and spicy winter soup with a fragrant whipped cream topping. Harissa is a chilli paste often used in north african cooking.
- Serves 8
Leave a review or comment