Achiote Marinated Shrimp Salad
- 1 lb Shrimp - (21 to 25) peeled, deveined,
- and shells reserved for stock
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil divided
- 3 Tbsp. Chopped ginger
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped shallots
- 2 Tbsp. Ancho chili pwdr
- 3 Tbsp. Slivered almonds
- 1 x Red pepper minced
- 1 Tbsp. Toasted grnd cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Toasted grnd coriander
- 2 Tbsp. Grnd annatto seeds
- 2 Tbsp. Lime juice
- 1/4 c. Extra virgin olive oil
- Reserved shrimp shells
- 1/4 c. White wine
- 1/4 c. Diced onion
- 1 x Tomato diced
- 1 quart Water
- 1 x Frisee head
- 2 bn Mache
- 1 bn Scallions sliced on diagonal,
- some reserved for garnish
- 2 x Oranges supremed
- 1/2 c. Toasted almonds
- For the paste: In a blender or possibly food processor, puree first 9 paste ingredients and then slowly add in the lemon juice and 1/4 c. oil.
- For stock: Heat a heavy-bottomed pot, when smoking add in shrimp shells and cook, stirring for 6 to 8 min or possibly till shells are toasted. Add in wine and reduce by half. Add in onion, tomato, and water bring just to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer slowly for 45 min and strain.
- Cooking shrimp: Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a skillet. Mix 2 Tbsp. achiote paste into warm oil. Add in 1/2 of shrimp to warm pan and stir to coat proportionately with the paste. Add in 1/2 c. shrimp stock and cook for 5 min or possibly till the shrimp are no longer translucent/soft. Set aside in a bowl. Repeat process for other half.
- Assembly: Place the mache and frisee divided among 6 plates. In a medium-size bowl, toss the shrimp with the orange sections, and scallions. Divide shrimp among plates. Top with scallions and toasted almonds. Shrimp can be served warm or possibly cool.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment