A Southern North African Sandwich
- 1 1/4 c. hot water - (abt 110 degrees)
- 1 pkt active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour or possibly bread flour
- 1/3 c. yellow cornmeal plus
- 1 Tbsp. yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil Curly lettuce for garnish
- 2 med eggplants Salt as needed Extra virgin olive oil as needed Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. cornmeal Paprika to taste Cayenne to taste
- 3 x green tomatoes sliced
- 4 ounce butter
- 2 x red peppers roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 3 sm fresh red chiles minced
- 6 x garlic cloves peeled, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh minced cilantro
- 2 tsp grnd coriander seeds
- 1 tsp grnd cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp crushed cardamom seeds
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- For the Kesra: In a small bowl of 1/4 c. of the hot water, stir in the yeast and sugar. Stir lightly till yeast begins to dissolve. Allow mix to stand till it begins to bubble, about 10 min.
- In a standing mixer bowl, put flour and 1/3 c. of cornmeal. Make a well in the center and add in yeast mix, salt, and melted butter. Knead the bread and gradually add in remaining hot water till dough is smooth and elastic.
- Sprinkle baking sheet with extra virgin olive oil and then dust with cornmeal. Separate the dough into 2 balls of equal size and sprinkle sesame seeds proportionately over the loaves and flatten into round circles. Cover the doughs with a clean towel and let rise in hot place till doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prick the top of each dough with a fork all over. Bake for 10 min.
- Lower heat to 375 degrees and bake an additional 15 to 20 min or possibly till crusty and golden.
- For the Vegetables: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the eggplant into 1/4-inch round slices and sprinkle with salt, let sit in colander for 10 min till bitter juices are extracted.
- Rinse the slices, and toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the eggplant slices till they are tender and a little crisp.
- Mix flour and cornmeal and season with spices, to your taste. Coat each tomato slice with mix and heat butter in heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron). Add in the tomatoes and cook till golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- For the Harissa: Process all the ingredients in a food processor. Season, to taste, and reserve in a small bowl.
- To assemble sandwich, spread 2 slices of Kesra with Harissa spread. Place a layer of eggplant, then tomatoes on bottom slice. Curly lettuce is optional. Top with other slice of bread.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment