20 MINUTE BUTTER AND ONION TOMATO SAUCEPrep: 5 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 4by For the Love of Italian Cooking10 recipes>
If you have ever made Marcella Hazan’s glorious butter and onion tomato sauce, then you know that it can take a bit of time to make (even though it is considered to be the simplest of her sauce recipes). It tastes phenomenal, but I would rather save it for a Sunday dinner. Here is a ‘weeknight version‘ that’s ready in half the time of the original recipe. The sauce is cooked at a higher temperature but the butter and onion flavours still shine through.
- 2 cups (500 ml) plain pureed tomato sauce
- 5 tbsp (70 g) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 or 2 handfuls Italian grated cheese (Parmesan, Grana Padano, or Romano)
- 1 lb (450-500 g) Bavette pasta (or other long pasta)
- Heat the ingredients in a small or medium covered saucepan, over high heat. When the sauce starts to boil, slightly reduce heat to medium-high and leave the lid ajar. Continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes. In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions. Discard the onion from the sauce and toss with well drained pasta. Sprinkle a couple of handfuls of your choice of grated Italian cheese and serve.
Leave a review or comment